Thursday, May 17, 2012

Epiphany.

I'm not one to go around shouting that I've had epiphanies.

But if an epiphany is, 
as Wikipedia says,
finding the last piece of the puzzle 
and now seeing the whole picture,


I had one this morning.

Don't laugh,
but I have come to appreciate
the 1980s.


I've always been fond of people born in the 80s, 
obviously,

but aside from the first season of Saved by the Bell,
an occasional Molly Ringwald movie,
and a strange fascination with Pee-Wee's Playhouse

I found 80s pop culture rather unpalatable.


Enter "True Colors" by Cyndi Lauper,
and the tide begins to turn.


Not only is this a great song
(well-covered by the impregnable Phil Collins as well),

but also
the video is 
awe-inspiringly
strange.

And I realized that I have just the palate 
for awe-inspiringly strange.

Ba-jang.

There it is.

The puzzle is complete.

I love the 80s.










You've got to admire the audacity with which they did things in the 80s.

I do.

Now.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, I'm glad you posted this. I've never really liked the 80's, not overly. I much more appreciate the 20s, 60s, and 90s. But I can totally understand what you're saying, and despite myself, I feel inclined to agree. I think that audacity and strangeness is what gave fuel to the greatness of the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, wait wait.
    Yes to the 80s but that last picture looks like the tearing down of the Berlin wall.
    That was pure 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally 1989 actually....long live the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha! Ohhhh Boy George and Michael Jackson. I too have a strange love affair with the 80s. For instance, watch the BandAid music video of "Do You Know It's Christmas" on YouTube. It's kind of the same experience (but watered down) as the first time I saw Mika's "Grace Kelly" video: I actually told Erin to turn it off because "I'm...attracted to him, and I don't like it..."

    ReplyDelete