Thursday, April 19, 2012

Or Walk By Our Lilac Tree

The other day, I smelt lilac for the first time this year.

That was a good day.


There is a row of lilac bushes that I pass on my way to campus.


Last spring, walking past them daily became one of life's simple pleasures.

And when the cold crawled in and they died, I said to myself,

"The next time I see those bloom,
it will be spring,
and good things will happen."

Truly.

I don't like to walk past them without stopping to inhale.

I feel like I'm wasting a precious chance.

The frailty of spring weighs on me a bit.



More often than most people, probably, I wonder which sense I would give up if I had to give up one.

Usually I say smell because sight and sound are too precious to me.

But I'm glad that I can smell lilac.



I'm glad to live in this beautiful world 
Heavenly Father created for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment