Saturday, September 21, 2013

I'd like to spend an hour or two with you.

(I know I'm idealistic,
but bear with me.)

This is how I view dates:

A boy calls you up
and says,
"Hi.
I'd like to spend an hour or two with you--
just us.
I've been wanting some dedicated time
to appreciate everything about you
worth appreciating."

And you say,
"Yes! I'd love that.
I'd love the chance
to appreciate everything about you
worth appreciating."

A date isn't necessarily about being in love,
but it is about love.

The real kind.


I don't have a good experience
if I spend the whole time asking myself
Am I having fun?
Does he think I'm funny?
Am I proud to be seen with him?

But if I notice
his laugh next to me in the movie theater,
his hand gestures while he drives,
the reverent way he says my name,
the glimmer when he talks about the things he loves,
I have a better time.

I like when
an hour or two of
doing some activity or another
becomes a holy experience,
because I get to bask in the grandeur
of another human being.

Sometimes,
you get a call out of the blue
from a boy who is very easy to appreciate.
And then the smile on your face
when you tell him yes
is real and unsuppressible,
because you know that an evening appreciating him
is going to be a delight.

And that is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment