Friday, June 21, 2013

The Sights of My Own Real Life.

I've been reading a lot more lately,
and riding public transportation.
Usually at the same time.

But sometimes on the bus,
I'll be reading Jane Eyre,
and my eyes flick up and catch upon something.

The mountains,
the sky.
A little girl staring off into the distance
as if deep in thought.

Today, it was an older woman with a pink walker
and a young man grasping tightly a metal lunchbox
that had Edward & Bella on it.

And in those moments,
I practically throw the book down,
and give myself over to looking.

Because there is something that whispers
This is real
and you don't want to miss it.
What is a made up story
to seeing the sights of my own real life?

The book will be there for me later,
but for now,
I want to appreciate
what is tangible
and fleeting.

1 comment:

  1. You're the only person I know who likes to ride the bus! It's one of the things I like about you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete