Wednesday, January 29, 2014

This Machine Surrounds Hate & Forces It to Surrender.

Pete Seeger died on Monday of this week.
He was 94 years old.

He was one of the best.
One of my favorites.

He started out singing
about what it was like to be a worker.
He wanted the unions to be singing unions.


Then he served in WWII
and married his wife.
They were still married in 2013
when she died.

HUAC called him in
and he got blacklisted for being a commie.

But he still sang
for civil rights
and Vietnam
and clean water.

Every time he sang,
he invited the crowd to sing with him.
It wasn't nothing to him
if he was singing alone.


His banjo said
This machine surrounds hate
and forces it to surrender.

Ten days before he died,
he was still chopping his own wood.


Lately,
I've thought more than once
I'm so glad that Pete Seeger is still alive
and that I'm alive.
He's the link to everything I love.
And I'm glad to share this earth with him.

If you're interested,
watch Pete Seeger: The Power of Song.

No comments:

Post a Comment