Monday, July 7, 2014

Woodstock.


On July 4,
Provo put on
"Summertime Blues: The Songs of Woodstock"
as part of its Rooftop Concert Series.

It was the perfect concert
from beginning to end.

Starting with Jimi Hendrix's
iconic rendition of
The Star-Spangled Banner


and ending with
a hootenanny version of The Weight,
performed by a dizzying lineup
of Provo's movers and shakers.


I know I had a dumb smile on my face
the entire time.

How could I not?
They had everybody there.

The Who.
Jefferson Airplane.
Sly & the Family Stone.
Crosby, Stills, and Nash.
Joan Baez.
Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I felt like I was right there
in 1969,
and the hip grandma standing next to me
grooving to all the jams
only helped.

And as they were singing
the final put the load right on me,
the first fireworks burst in the air.

It was an overwhelmingly
glorious
moment--
so many beautiful humans
making such sweet tunes
for a crowd decked in
red, white, and blue
on America's Independence Day,
under fireworks,
mankind's greatest invention,
singing the same songs
our grandparents sang
to get out all their feels.

I really and truly and honestly
can't understand
why anyone who rather have been
at a Carrie Underwood concert.





No comments:

Post a Comment