Thursday, January 14, 2016

The sun came up with no conclusions.

It's been two months since I started listening to this cd on repeat in my car, the same ten songs in an endless loop.


"I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" is a throwback to high school, which I luckily didn't get rid of when I was 18 and pious.

The melodies aren't that interesting, and he has that strange voice, but Emmylou Harris sings those haunting harmonies. And it's perfect for when you're sad, when you're overwhelmed, when you're tired, when you feel like you might be in love, when you're excited. It's everything.

There's nothing like singing out "I'm a single cell on a serpant's tongue"

and "No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter. Sometimes that's just the most comfortable place"

or "I'm glad I didn't die before I met you"

and "You'll be free, child, once you have died, from the shackles of language and measurable time"

and "In the caverns of tomorrow, with just our flashlights and our love, we must plunge, we must plunge, we must plunge."

1 comment:

  1. So I realize that by commenting, I am revealing that after I friend-ed you on FB I saw your blog post on Tyler Terry, and then kept on reading. I get to work at 7 am but don't actually want to do any real work until after 8 am... so here we are.

    Just wanted to say Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst was everything to me in high school. I love and agree with everything you said about this album! Let's hang out again soon.

    ReplyDelete