Saturday, March 10, 2012

Long words!

I'm glad to be a 90s kid.

When I was little, I somehow learned to say

Slobodan Milosevic.


I guess it was funny to hear a little five-year-old say a name that long.


I remember how weird it was when I later learned who he was.

I had no idea there was a war in Europe going on.

A war in Europe! During my lifetime! 
Neighbors fighting against neighbors,
killing,
destruction,
everything.

Not to mention Africa or the Middle East or any of the other places that have suffered turbulent times in the last twenty years.

In a world that had MTV and cassette tapes,
I just think we should have been able to put wars behind us.

Being from America,
I feel so far removed from war.
Geographically,
temporally.

There was a war affecting millions of people,
and all I knew of it was that that name was fun to say.



I do remember precisely when Princess Diana died.
I was six years old.
I came downstairs one day, and my dad was watching about it on the news.


I think I remember the Clinton impeachment.


I remember the aftermath of the Columbine shootings.


I remember when the internet came out.



It's interesting to live life
and look back and realize that it was history.
But it is waking up and going to bed,
day in and day out,
that eventually fills up the pages of the book.




Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

2 comments:

  1. nice little reference to lord of the rings there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +9,000 prestige points for using that Lord of the Rings quote!

    ReplyDelete