Thursday, March 21, 2013

Let's Talk About Ice Cream.

On Sunday,
I was at church with my aunts.

There was a beautiful old lady there,
who was taking care of her handsome old frail husband.

I kept watching her in awe.


During the third meeting,
this lady raised her hand to make a comment.

She said that her mother had been a lovely woman.
When she was in a group of women
and the talk turned to saying unkind things 
about other people,
she would say,
"Let's talk about ice cream!"


And I thought,
Maybe one day I could be the kind of person
with so much love
that I would rather talk about ice cream
than say something unkind.

Maybe I really could feel that way
and it wouldn't be preachy or false.

...

I want to reverence people.

Reverence is
profound respect
mingled with love.

Usually, it is an emotion reserved for 
how we feel about God.

But I can only dream of how rich life would be 
if I respected everyone for the divine parts of them
and if I loved them for it.

Those feelings would mingle 
into a sense of 
profound
holy
awe.


It's you I like,
not the things you wear,
not the way you do your hair,
but it's you I like.

The way you are right now,
the way down deep inside you.
Not the things that hide you,
not your toys--they're just beside you.

3 comments:

  1. Love this Rachel. Thanks for the reminder. I can always use a good reminder to talk about ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either Shar or Yvette did this the other day. They said to the person who was venting negatively...cute shoes! That's a back up for the ice cream line. Mom

    ReplyDelete