Sunday, April 28, 2013

Meeting people is easy.

Meeting people is stupid and hard.


First, you have to start.
And that's a battle on its own.
Should I go up to someone?
Should I not?

Then, you have to find something to talk about.
You have nowhere to start,
so you just end up reciting your resume.
This is where I'm from.
This is what I'm studying.
This is what I like to do.


What's the point in talking about that?
Sure, what I like to do describes me,
but it's not me.

People are more than the sum of their opinions
about bowling and Chinese food.

Maybe I could try being transparent:
(That usually works well for me.)

Hi.
I just thought maybe
I'd come up and meet you
so that we could be friends.


Now that you've moved in,
you live near me.
So I'd like for you to be in my life, maybe,
and I will appreciate
all the things about you
worth appreciating.

Is that okay?

Silly me.
Wanting to make friends
without paying the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment