Monday, August 26, 2013

Big Yellow Taxi.

Four years ago today
I moved into Heritage Halls
to begin college.

I unpacked my stuff,
met my new roommates,
ate lunch at the Creamery with Ashley,
remarked that some of the boys walking by
didn't look a day over 15.

Then, I was alone all afternoon,
and sad.
I read my scriptures,
and then I recall eating a rice cake for dinner.
(I hadn't been able to believe how much
groceries had cost at the store that day.)

And that's how I,
at eighteen,
started my grand adventure.

Today,
I drove past Heritage
on my way to work.

The building I lived in
has been torn down.

And in its place--

it's too perfect--

is
a
parking
lot.

They paved paradise
and put up a parking lot.

I'll admit,
I cried as I drove by today.

I was so young
and I learned so much about love.

For a mad moment,
I thought I'd like to go back.
But then I realized
that would never do.

You can never go back.
You can only love your memories.







No comments:

Post a Comment