Sunday, October 5, 2014

My life is an episode of Blue's Clues.

Sometimes I feel like
my life is an episode of Blue's Clues
and I'm Steve.


I have a question--
what should I be when I grow up?
or
who do I love?

I start out confident
that as I go about
my daily activities,
clues will appear.
Clearly.
Marked by a blue paw print.

And I'll gather them
in my handy dandy notebook
and,
when the time is right,
sit in my Thinking Chair
and puzzle
and ponder
and muddle
for a minute or so.

And then,
with my mental prowess
and reasoning power,
I will hit eureka!
And Blue's Clues
will be solved.

But.

It's not that easy.

Instead of clues appearing
when I least expect it,
I search endlessly for them.

This book I'm reading for class
must be a clue
to what I should be when I grow up.

The way he smiles
must be a clue
to whether I like him or not.

I draw paw prints on everything.
Pretty soon, my handy dandy notebook
is full of drawings.

And instead of one fruitful trip
to the Thinking Chair,
I go there every day.

I languish there,
piecing together my clues.

Why aren't they fitting together?
Do I not have enough?
Have I combined the wrong ones?

At length,
I rip some clues out of my notebook
and decide I was mistaken about them.

But ten minutes later,
I'm taping them back in.

And at the end of the episode,
I look at the camera,
at the silent audience of children
watching behind the television screen
and say,
"I'm sorry.
We couldn't figure out Blue's Clues."

But that's because life really isn't
an episode of Blue's Clues.

There aren't clues.
It's not a riddle
that you can solve.

And no one gets mail that often, either.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! The highlight of my childhood vacations when I was younger was when I could cartch an episode of blues clues on the hotel tv. :)

    ReplyDelete