Sunday, April 17, 2011

When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house...

Finals week is kind of like a film festival.

Ash, Kimberli & I celebrated the last day of class with Guys and Dolls.

I had never seen it before, and, surprisingly, I enjoyed it.

Usually I don't like musicals from this era.

I really enjoyed the fact that the gamblers almost never used contractions, e.g.

"I have been running the crap game since I was a juvenile delinquent."

I want to make myself talk like that. It is not an easy thing to do.

Also, I realized what I hate about these musicals:

the musical numbers that do not advance/have nothing to do with the story!

e.g. The choreographed crap game!

Let us not even mention the musical numbers at Adelaide's job.

Also, even though Marlon Brando is super handsome and Sky Masterson was definitely kind of a sweetheart,

I do not think he and Sarah's love could really last!

But the very next day, I saw a reference to Sky Masterson in my real life! Don't you love when that happens? I always wonder what I would have thought if I had not just learned about that very thing.

The next night we watched Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

It was Michele's first time. She favored Ephraim.

I decided I should just start liking Caleb. 'Cause no one ever likes him, and there just are not enough brothers for every girl to get her own without us having to argue.

I do not know. Maybe if he had shaved his goatee.

But he does do the whole cheesy "To the ends of the earth" line, and you know I hate that romantic stuff. I will work on it.

Best thing about 7 B 4 7 B? NO POINTLESS MUSICAL NUMBERS.

They all have a purpose in moving the story along.

And I just love Johnny Mercer's songwriting.

JUST WATCH IT IF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN IT.

It is the greatest thing I know of.

(Note to self: Not everyone is going to love it as much as you do. ESPECIALLY not guys.)

Then on Saturday I had a double header.

First? My premiere of 27 Dresses.

Let me tell you something about the way I watch chick flicks.






I go crazy.




And in this movie, I seemed to have a knack for anticipating plot elements 30 seconds before they happened.

"NO! Don't kiss her now!"

"Oh no, her sister's gonna get married too!"

"SHE wanted to wear her mom's wedding dress!"

"She doesn't know it's the same guy?!"

"Stop taking pictures of her! You're going to run her story and she's going to hate you!"

Oh snap. It was hard to watch.

I mean, I like sad movies, but it is hard to watch things that are painfully like real life.

I mean, life is hard enough as it is. Why should I suffer through Jane's problems as well?

And is it too much to ask that the characters do not get drunk and do stupid things, apologize when they are supposed to, and actually have a plausible relationship?

Well, maybe.

At least James Marsden is better in this than as Prince Edward in Enchanted.

And later that night, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

This movie is weird and amazing.

All I've got to say is









Totenkopf.

3 comments:

  1. "On the day I left home to make my way in the world, my daddy took me to one side. 'Son,' my daddy says to me. 'I regret that I am unable to bankroll you to a high and lofty position, but not having the necessary lettuce to get you rolling... Instead, I am gong to stake you to some very valuable advice. One of these days in your travels, a man will show you a brand new deck of card (snap) on which the seal is not yet broken. Then, this guy is going to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out and squirt cider in your ear. But son, you do not take this bet, for as sure as you are standing there you will wind up with an ear full of cider.'"

    Hahahaha! Great post. Although I must submit that I believe you are a little biased towards 7B47B. I happen to think most of the musical numbers are pointless, even if they do move the story along. And I miss the story moving anyhow because I do not pay attention to the songs.
    All I gotta say is...
    "Daddy... I got cida in my eeyah.."

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. that quote is entirely from memory

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7B47B is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time. And Caleb is my favorite. (possibly because yellow is my favorite color)

    ReplyDelete