Wednesday, June 15, 2011

That doesn't make any Sense.

1. Rather often, actually, I ask myself whether I would rather be blind or deaf.


It's a horrible question.







Honestly, I'd rather have no sense of smell.





2. I love moments of synesthesia.

Like when words have tastes.


For grammar class, we read a book by Martha Kolln.

KOLLN tastes like sucking on a Jolly Rancher.



In the two Human Development classes I've had,
CHILD CARE has always had a distinct taste.

(Just the word, not the concept.)

I decided today it tastes kind of like the chicken strips you order at restaurants when you're afraid to try something more exotic.
And they never let you down.





3. You know your mind's eye?

Well I have a mind's nervous system.



Sometimes I sit and conjure up the sensation of holding my family's hands.

I know it's in my mind, but it's like I can feel it under my skin.


Dad's hand is broad and dry and I can feel the shape of his fingertips where the saw cut them.
Mom's hand is small and cool and there are deep valleys between the knuckles where the fingers meet the back of the hand.
Jeff's hand is big and his fingers are straight and solid and I can feel our fingers intertwine.
Katie's hand is soft and feminine and my fingertip remembers touching the edges of her long and well-manicured nails.


And one day there will be other hands that I know that well.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel I don't care what you want to do with the rest of your life (to clarify, I mean it's up to you) but you should be an author at some point. You write beautifully. You could be Sue Monk Kidd, I'm serious.
    p.s. I'm not going to medical school.

    ReplyDelete