Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Faultless in spite of all her faults"

There's just something about Jane Austen novels.

Every girl knows which of Jane's heroines she is.

For instance,
I am Emma.



A few years ago,
before I realized the supreme superiority of Emma 
over Pride and Prejudice,
the question was always
Elizabeth or Jane?



And I always wanted to be Jane.
I already understood Elizabeth.

But Jane had something worth envying
in her agreeableness and beauty.

Being an Elizabeth is fun, 
if that's all you can manage to amount to.
You get to be intelligent and sassy.

But if you're good enough,
it is better to be a Jane.

The world is made for Janes, I thought.

Elizabeths just aren't quite there.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I am not a Jane.
And I cannot be a Jane.

I am an Emma,
and I make mistakes a Jane would never make.

But it's not just a Jane's world.

Emma can be obnoxious.
She doesn't read as much as she should.
And her opinions are often misguided.

But I like her.


Perhaps it is our imperfections
that make us so perfect for one another!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...don't know who'd I be. Probably Emma. Just cause I feel like her

    ReplyDelete