Thursday, February 27, 2014

Counting Down.

In January,
my best friend Ashley
told me
that she and her husband
are moving to California
when the semester ends.

And since then,
I have been washed with dread
every time I think about it.

The number of months of our lives
that Ashley and I have not lived
in the same place
is probably six.
Tops.

We don't see each other that often anymore--
maybe once every month or so,
maybe a little less.

But there's a security
that comes from knowing
she's only a few blocks away.

She'll be there when I need her.

And it's not necessarily that I need her,
but that I need the security of knowing 
that she's as close to me physically
as she is to my heart.


The likelihood of us
ever living in the same town again
is about to plummet to zero.

I know that she will be my best friend
no matter what,
no matter when.

But I still feel like
I'm wasting precious time
by not spending every minute 
of the next two months
with her

and Marshall
and Huey
and Lancelot.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I haven't told you this yet, but we are coming back in August. His boss told us its going to be an internship only. So now I feel like Baloo the bear as he listens to Bageera's eulogy of him... :)

    ReplyDelete