Thursday, June 26, 2014

Immunizations.


For grad school,
I needed to send in
some immunization dates,
so my mom emailed me
my immunization record.

For some reason,
I was struck by all those dates.

5-17-91
7-9-91
10-2-91
6-17-92
10-21-92
4-29-96
8/99
9/99
3/00

I thought about my mom
and all the times
she put me in my car seat
and took me to the doctor
to get shots,

even though
I very well may have cried,


or maybe it was frustrating
to pack the other siblings
in the car
and haul all of us
to Dr. Estock's.

And I suddenly felt like
taking your kids to get shots
is the essence of motherhood.

I was too little to know
that I needed a measles vaccination,
but she knew.

Without my mom,
I'd probably have rubella right now.

1 comment:

  1. This is GREAT! I laughed out loud, and I loved it, and I wholeheartedly agree. I can't believe how many times my mom took me to Pediatric Associates at Christiana Hospital to see Dr. Epstein or one of his partners. AND - every time I had a throat culture, she took me straight to Wendy's to get a Frosty for my poor throat (keep in mind Strep was like my best friend as a kid). THAT'S A LOT OF DR'S APPOINTMENTS!!!!

    ReplyDelete