Tuesday, September 30, 2014

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are.

There's a song
that I've been listening to
so much.
Too much.
All the time.

The chorus goes
I
don't
care
if
the world knows
what my secrets are.


Maybe it's cliche,
but it gives me all the good feels.

I'm on a run,
and I'm all like,
YEAH!
I DON'T CARE
IF THE WORLD KNOWS
WHAT MY SECRETS ARE!

I was thinking,
When did that start?
When did I become
an open book?
When did I become the person
who shares things
on the internet
that are just-a-bit-too-personal?

And then I remembered
that in the fifth grade,
I liked Michael June.

One day at our lockers
at the back of the classroom,
the girl who intimidated me
said to me,
probably in that taunting sing-song,
"You have a crush on Michael!"

And my face went red,
I'm sure,
and I got ten-year-old defensive
and said,
"No, I don't!"
completely unconvincingly.

And she laughed at me
and I was embarrassed.
Of course.

But later that day,
we were at our lockers again,
and the same thing happened.

But this time,
when she accused me
of liking Michael,
I summoned some sort of
ten-year-old gumption
and said,
"Yeah, so?"

And I remember
that she didn't respond.
And I remember
being surprised
that I didn't feel embarrassed.

I'm glad I remember
that that happened.

I don't care
if the world knows
what my secrets are!




See also
I feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment