Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Sunflowers, please.


This is Emily.


I met her a few months ago.
She said,
"Let's be friends."

I thought that sounded like a good idea.
And I've thought it ever since.
.
.
.
Once, when I didn't know her too well yet,
she mentioned one of our friends
and said,
"You should write a blog post about him."

And in my mind, I said,
"No, I think I'd rather write
one about you
instead."
.
.
.
Because her life is full of sunflowers.

Her face is always
glittering
with the slightest bit
of magic.

She likes it
when life surprises her.

She kept me
from chickening out
when we were planning
to climb a mountain.

She listens to me
and I listen to her.

She knows when Pride & Prejudice
will be the right choice
and when just sitting on the front lawn,
dying a shirt with Rit dye
will be the perfect way
to spend the afternoon.

She moves.
She walks in a direction--
the one she wants to walk in.

She's what I needed
when I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment