Monday, July 16, 2012

Truck Drivin' Girl

I like road trips.


When I was little, I would get bored,
but now the hours and miles pass
and I like sitting still.

I like driving down a straight ribbon of highway
that stretches forever,
flying at 80 mph,
only worrying about passing semis.


I like the funny names of little towns 
that you read about on the reflective green signs.
I like reading about the funny little attractions they have
and stopping there on a whim.

They pronounce it Hurrikin.

I once went here.

I like seeing things you've never seen.
Like palm trees and Spanish-style houses


or red rocks.


I love seeing more of America,
of the unfettered, wide open West.
I love going and going
and ending up somewhere new.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. This is beautiful. You need to drive to Grand Junction with me. And we should just drive all over America. The whole ding dang country, see it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME, too! Can you believe it? Me, your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this :) Come visit us again!

    ReplyDelete