Friday, May 31, 2013

Those kids don't know.

Today at UVU,
I saw a group of kids,
probably ages 10-13,
sitting in the hall,
huddled around an iPad.

They were playing
The Man Who Can't Be Moved
by The Script.

So if one day you wake up
and find that you're missing me
and your heart starts to wonder
where on this earth I could be...

And I thought to myself,
"Those kids don't know.
No kid does.
They listen to the songs all right,
but they've never felt like that."

It wasn't until college
that I really started relating
to the words in songs.

I remember the first time I could relate
to a Taylor Swift song.
That was a low moment.

After I broke up for the first time,
I couldn't stop listening to breakup songs--
just because there was something so new
and so interesting about it,
now that I knew what they were talking about.

I looked at those kids today
and I got a tear in my eye.

It's sad to have to grow up.
But it would be sadder not to.

1 comment: