Sunday, May 5, 2013

Tamed.

Once upon a time,
the little prince met a fox.


The fox needed to be tamed.

Tamed means to create ties.

"For me you're only a little boy
just like a hundred thousand other little boys,"
the fox said.

"And I have no need of you.
And you have no need of me, either.
For you I'm only a fox
like a hundred thousand other foxes.

But if you tame me,
we'll need each other.
You'll be the only boy in the world for me.
I'll be the only fox in the world for you....

If you tame me,
my life will be filled with sunshine.
I'll know the sound of footsteps
that will be different from all the rest....

And then, look!
You see the wheat fields over there?
I don't eat bread.
For me wheat is of no use whatever.
Wheat fields say nothing to me.
Which is sad.

But you have hair the color of gold.
So it will be wonderful, once you've tamed me!
The wheat, which is golden, will remind me of you.
And I'll love the sound of the wind in the wheat..."


So the little prince tamed the fox.
It took a long time.

But one day he had to leave,
and the fox cried.

"It's your own fault.
I never wanted to do you any harm,
but you insisted that I tame you..."

In the mind of the little prince,
the fox was weeping for nothing.

"I get something,"
said the fox, correcting him,
"because of the color of the wheat."

...

Last week, I wrote a post
about how frustrating it can be
to meet new people.

But I don't want to live my life
without the wheat meaning anything to me.

Taming takes a long time--
a little each day.
So I have to be patient.

Even when your friends leave you,
and you cry,
it's worth it.
Because you are the only little boy for them,
and they are the only fox for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment