Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chats with Pops.


I just talked to my dad on the phone
for an hour and a half.

He stayed up until 11:30 his time
(and this man goes to bed early)
to tell me about
my great-great-great grandfather,
Christian Olsen.

I asked him about when he proposed to my mom,
because I never get tired of hearing
that he was so in love with her
he just had to call her on the phone
on a Monday morning,
and ask her to marry him.

He told me about military police
patrolling the streets in Uruguay
when he was a missionary there in the 1970s.

He told me about how he missed America's bicentennial
because he was in South America.
I wanted to cry.

His dad died when he was 29
and his dad was 66.

In seven years,
I'll be 29,
and my dad will be 65.

I told him not to die,
and he said okay.

2 comments:

  1. I love your dad! And your mom for that matter. You come from great stock. I second the motion, don't die dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made me tear up, and I don't even really know your dad. Love this.

    ReplyDelete