Thursday, November 21, 2013

This Bitter Earth.


I have loved a lot of things lately.

The sesquicentennial of the Gettysburg Address.
Learning the origin of "The Princess Pat."
Reading a memoir of Malcolm X.

But one important thing hasn't made that list:
people.

It seems that the list of people
whose lives inherently interest me
has decreased dramatically in size.

If that sounds horrible,
it is.

I used to be shy
because I didn't know
that I had it in me
to be otherwise.

Then, I learned how to make friends,
and I had so much love in me
that I'd hold anyone's hand
that was near enough to grab.

And now,
I don't talk to others
not because I can't,
but because I don't want to.

But as it turns out,
not wanting to for a long time
makes you feel like you can't.


And if my life is like the dust
that hides the glow of a rose,
what good am I?
What good am I?
Heaven only knows.

...

This story doesn't have a moral
or an adage
or a word of advice at the end.

I don't know how to fix this.

But I still have faith
that somewhere between all these poles,
there's a happy nook to live in.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's OK to not like other people for a while. Sometimes you need a break...a good loooong break. Don't worry, interest in other people will come back. I know because I've been in that slump before!

    ReplyDelete