Sunday, February 24, 2013

Healing.

This is one of my favorite religious paintings.


"Healing at the Pool of Bethesda," 1883
Carl Bloch

The sick and infirm sat here 
waiting for a chance to be healed.

Then came Jesus.

...

We have this painting hanging in the art museum at BYU.

It's huge,
and it's nice to sit in front of it.

I don't look at Jesus
or the man being healed,
but the one next to them.

The one in the cap, hugging his knees.

I am drawn to the sharpness 
with which Bloch has painted his face.

...

Off to the right,
there are those who don't notice Him.

To the left,
they are watching, marveling,
maybe doubting.

But I think that man is hoping.

He's stealing a hesitant glance.

He sees what Christ can do,
and he knows it.
But he may not believe that it could work for him.

After all, he is so lowly and common.

Will He come to me next?
Am I good enough to be healed?

...

Of everyone in that painting,
I think we are that man,
trying to remember that the answer to those questions
is yes.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I've never thought of that when looking at this painting before. Thanks Rachel. =)

    ~Taylor Finnell

    ReplyDelete