Saturday, February 9, 2013

We're all children.

Today I watched
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.


It's a true story
about a man who became paralyzed after a stroke.
Even though he could only move his left eye,
he learned to communicate through blinking.


He wasn't a good man, see.
He left a path of broken lives in his wake.
And yet everyone around him loved him.


It astonished me how much I loved him,
when he didn't deserve any of it.

But I did.
There was a point in the film
where you heard him narrate,
"I have pneumonia."

And I gasped.
No.
Please.

...

He knew a man
who had been held hostage in Beirut for years,
who came to him and said,

"Hold fast to the human inside of you,
and you'll survive."

The real Jean-Dominique Bauby.

And he did.
That's why he was worth loving.

Even he said,
"We're all children;
we all need approval."

There was human inside of him,
and that couldn't be taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment