Thursday, February 28, 2013

Something old, something new.

Today, I crossed campus at early dusk.

I was in the southeast corner,
where the science buildings are,
where I never go.

But it was so beautiful that I murmured out loud,
I love this place.

I was on my way to the Brimhall Building,
the only building left on the main campus
that I had never been inside.


Part of me didn't want to go in,
to maintain some sense of mystery.

A couple of years ago,
there were tons of buildings 
that were still mysteries to me,
but slowly I've explored most of them.

At length, I decided I'd do it.
What else is your last semester of school for,
if not to do things you've never done?

Immediately, I loved it.

It's charmingly old,
and you know how I feel about old things.

The floor tiles that reminded me of my elementary school,
the wooden banisters,
the inconvenient layout.

I think I loved it,
because it was new.

A little treasure.

A little pocket of something I loved,
held back for me
to make me happy
right at the end.

1 comment:

  1. The Brimhall is one of my favorite buildings on campus. That was one of the first buildings I went into on campus while at BYU, so it's fun to hear what you thought.

    ReplyDelete